Farmer Umpung Mappe
Date of Birth: 1942
Family: Wife: Hj.Nurmi and four children who have all finished school. Three sons, 34 yr old Muh.Alyas (b.1980), 32 yr old Kaharuddin (b.1982), 26 yr old Nasrullah (b.1988) and one daughter 25 yr old Hartini (b.1989)
Location: Lonrong, Liliriaja, South Sulawesi
- Area: 1 hectare in one location with sloping land and fertile soil.
- The cocoa is planted on a 3m x 3m pattern and some of the cocoa trees was side grafted in 2009.
- The farm is shaded with gliricidia and coconut trees.
- Cocoa pod borer and black pod are the main pest and disease issues.
- Low levels of fertilizer are applied as funds become available however Umpung Mappe does have a basic understanding of fertilizing.
- Only basic farm practices are applied.
- Consistent application of good agricultural practices and good soil management is needed on this farm.
- A small number of trees, 40 (5%) are dead and require replacing.
- Total harvest per year = +/-250 kg per/ha.
Photo of Umpung Mappe and his wife Hj. Nurmi.
- The cocoa farm was passed onto Umpung Mappe from his parents. Taming side grafted some of his trees in 2010.
- Hj. Nurmi helps with the post harvest processing (bean drying) and manages the family home and makes all financial arrangements.
Photo of Umpung Mappe & Hj. Nurmi's family home.
|Umpung Mappe's Needs:|
|In Field Training||Completed|
|In Class Training||Completed|
|Tall pruning tool / pole||Completed|
|Personal Safety Equipment||Completed|
|Pest Management Materials||In Progress|
|Seedlings (40 +/-)||Waiting|
|Waiting for Sponsorship|
|Hj. Nurmi's Needs:|
|Financial Mgmt Training||Waiting|
|Sponsor a Woman’s Pack||Click Here|