Date of Birth: 1969
Family: Wife: Sunarti and two son's. Their eldest son 9 yr old Asrul (b.2005) is in primary / elementary school and 6 yr old Akrasul (b. 2008) is not yet in school.
Location: Tinco, Citta, South Sulawesi
- Area: 0.5 hectares in one location with flat land and fertile soil.
- The cocoa is planted on a 3m x 3m pattern and some of the cocoa trees was side grafted in 2010.
- Shade is provided by coconut, mango, teak, banana and gliricidia trees.
- Cocoa pod borer and black pod are the main pest and disease issues.
- Very low levels of fertilizer are applied as funds become available however Massese does seem to have a basic understanding of fertilizing.
- Only basic farm practices are applied which require improvement.
- Consistent application of good agricultural practices and good soil management is needed on this farm.
- There are approximately 51 (6.7%) dead trees which require replacing.
- Total harvest per year = +/-150 kg (est. 300kg per/ha).
Photo of Massese and his wife Sunarti.
- The cocoa farm was passed onto Massese from his parents. Massese has side grafted some of his farm in an effort to improve productivity.
- Sunarti is active on the farm particularly with harvesting, post harvest processing and farm sanitation work. In addition, Sunarti manages the family home and takes care of the family finances.
- Massese has the potential to be a successful cocoa farmer but requires training and some initial support to get him going.
Photo of Massese & Sunarti's family home.
|In Field Training||Completed|
|In Class Training||Completed|
|Tall pruning tool / pole||Completed|
|Personal Safety Equipment||Completed|
|Pest Management Materials||In Progress|
|Seedlings (51 +/-)||Waiting|
|Waiting for Sponsorship|
|Financial Mgmt Training||Waiting|
|Sponsor a Woman’s Pack||Click Here|