Date of Birth: 1979
Family: Wife: Hartini. Children: Zahran, 3 year old girl (born in 2010).
Location: Morioriwawo, Soppeng, South Sulawesi
- Area: 1.0 Hectares.
- The cocoa is planted on a 3 M x 3 M pattern and 150 trees were recently side-grafted and 450 are old hybrid trees, while 175 need replacing.
- Shade provided by coconut trees.
- Cocoa pod borer and black pod are the main pest and disease issues.
- Only basic farm practices applied.
- Cocoa trees are old (10 years), low productivity hybrids and many require replacing.
- Approx 22% of the trees are dead and need replacing.
- Total harvest per year = +/- 250kg from 1 hectare.
- Kahar would like to achieve 1 ton per hectare in the future.
Photo of Kahar and his wife Hartini.
Photo of heavy black pod infestation on Kahar's farm.
- The cocoa farm was passed to Kahar by his parents.
- Hartini helps in the farm, particularly at harvest time, in addition to managing the family home and voluntary teaching at a local school.
Photo of Kahar and Hartini's family home.
|In Field Training||Completed|
|In Class Training||Completed|
|Tall pruning tool / pole||Completed|
|Personal Safety Equipment||Completed|
|Pest Management Materials||In Progress|
|Seedlings (175 +/-)||Completed|
|Shade (175 +/-)||Completed|
|Financial Mgmt Training||Waiting|