Farmer Abd Azis
Date of Birth: 1976
Family: Wife: Darma and two children. Their 12 yr old daughter Aprianti Azdar (b.2002) and their 9 yr old son Bayu Aditya Asdar (b.2005) are both in primary / elementary school.
Location: Turu Cinnae, Lamuru, South Sulawesi
- Area: 0.5 hectares in one location with sloping land and fertile soil.
- The cocoa is planted on a 3m x 3m pattern and some of the cocoa trees were recently side grafted in 2012.
- Shade is provided by gliricidia and coconut trees.
- Cocoa pod borer and black pod are the main pest and disease issues.
- Moderate levels of fertilizer are applied as funds become available. Abd. Aziz does seem to have a basic understanding of the need to fertilize.
- Basic farm practices applied. Farm practices require improvement
- Consistent application of good agricultural practices and good soil management is needed on this farm.
- There are quite a number of cocoa trees that are dead and require replacing. 199 trees need replacing and 18 trees need side grafting for rehabilitation.
- Total harvest per year = +/-150 kg (est. 300 kg per/ha).
Photo of Abd. Azis and his wife Darma.
- The cocoa farm was passed onto Abd. Azis from his parents. Abd. Azis recently side grafted a number of his trees.
- Darma is involved in farm activities particularly with harvesting, post harvest processing and farm sanitation activities. In addition, Darma manages the family home, cares for their young son and all financial arrangements.
Photo of Abd. Azis & Darma's family home.
|Abd. Azis's Needs:|
|In Field Training||Completed|
|In Class Training||Completed|
|Tall pruning tool / pole||Completed|
|Personal Safety Equipment||Completed|
|Pest Management Materials||In Progress|
|Seedlings (119 +/-)||Waiting|
|Budwood (18 +/-)||Waiting|
|Waiting for Sponsorship|
|Financial Mgmt Training||Waiting|
|Sponsor a Woman’s Pack||Click Here|