Trees, Beans and Chocolate
Did you know that.....
1. A high producing, well looked after clonal cocoa tree will produce around 2 kg dry cocoa beans annually for at least 10-15 years
2. The trees will start to produce after 18 months and, when in full production, one of these clonal cocoa trees will produce enough cocoa in one year to make:
- 2.3 kg of 70% Dark Chocolate OR
- 3 kg of milk chocolate with enough powder left over to make 10 chocolate cakes (depending on how rich you like your cake)
3. To make the same amount of cocoa from a current typical cocoa farm would require the harvest from at least 3-4 trees
4. The average American consumes around 5.5kg of chocolate per year, Australia= 5.9kg per year, UK =9.5kg, Switzerland =11.9kg.
5. A person consuming 5.5kg of chocolate per year would need to plant 2 cocoa trees each year to cover their consumption.
When you eat chocolate, give a thought to the farmer who works so hard to grow the cocoa. You can help these farmers through a variety of Cocoa Care programs.